Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Mailbag: Help me, Obi-Wan, you're my only hope...

Grape,

I know how you're always saying you need enterprise stories for your resume tape and I consistently bring great story ideas to the morning meeting, but my ND always shoots them down and I end up doing a follow up on some scanner story from the previous night. I'm the king of re-enactments. So, and I know this must sound like a stupid question, is there any way to make re-enactments interesting?


Not unless you work for the History Channel.

Wow, yesterday's news today. I'll bet your station's ratings are through the roof.


Grapevine,

I was wondering what your thoughts are on slates for the beginning of a resume tape. I was thinking of having clips of myself flying through the screen with a nice background and some upbeat music. What's your take?



Nobody every got a job because of a slate. Name, job title and contact info are all you need on a solid background. Save your creativity for your packages. And you don't need to spend money putting your picture on a DVD or tape label. But please do put your name and contact info on it.


Grape,

I'm very new to this career. What does it mean when you hear a photog refer to a reporter as "high maintenance."



It means you should carry the tripod.


Grape,

I'm still in college and haven't decided on what I'd like to do in a newsroom. Can you tell me what you think are the best and worst jobs in the business?



Well, identifying the worst job is easy. That's the Assignment Editor. A thankless gig which makes you feel like you have homework every day. If you like being second guessed more than a NFL head coach, this is the career for you.

Producing isn't much fun, and these days most producers are despised by the field crews.

A good job is one that puts you out in the field, whether it's as a reporter, photog or field producer. Nothing beats the pure rush of seeing news happen in person. And nothing makes the day go faster than getting out of the building.

The absolute best job (but one that's nearly impossible to get) is doing play-by-play. Unless you're an ex-jock or son of a broadcaster, fuhgeddaboudit.

1 comment:

turdpolisher said...

worked at a place the cops called the history channel vecause we were always the last ones on the scene of breaking news. i kinda liked the sound of that.