Thursday, January 7, 2010

Mailbag: Are cable news operations legit?

Hey Grape,

Happy New Year! I was starting the year off job hunting and saw a few jobs that looked interesting... then I saw that they were cable stations. Are these places legit, and how does it look on your resume if you've worked for one versus a regular affiliate?


I wouldn't discount cable operations, as there are a lot of good ones out there. Plus, they do offer more flexibility; you can often do longer stories, and if it's a 24 hour operation, you really don't have a "deadline" as you would in a normal affiliate.

Last year I had a client go from a cable op to a very good affiliate. He did great work and his cable station put out an excellent product.

Of course, every operation is mutually exclusive. There are good and bad cable ops, and good and bad affiliates. Judge each separately.

And remember, the thing that gets you the job is on the tape.


Grape,

Just got back from an interview. I think it went well, but have no idea what to do next. Little help?


Sit by the phone and wait for it to ring. Kidding. Seriously, send a thank you note to the people you met and go on with your daily routine. Continue to send out tapes as if nothing happened, because nothing may come of it and you don't want to waste time with all your eggs in one basket.


Grape,

I'm in my first job and was sent out to get man in the street interviews, but didn't know where to go. I figured you would know.


Well, to get a good cross section of people with all sorts of demographics and age groups, my favorites were always the post office or the courthouse.

No comments: