Friday, June 23, 2017

JUST WHEN I THINK I'M OUT...THEY PULL ME BACK IN!



Since I’m Sicilian, I kinda feel like Al Pacino in Godfather 3.

Yeah, I'm back.


“They” not being the Mafia, but a different kind of mob. The mob of so-called journalists who are responsible for the fake news phenomenon.


Yes, I’m still writing political novels (as Nick Harlow) and will continue to do so. I even wrote one three years ago about a reality show contestant running for President that my agent said was “way too over the top and totally unbelievable.” But that’s a story for another day.


What’s really over the top is the incredible bias I’m seeing on television and reading in print. Stuff that would have gotten me fired in a heartbeat twenty years ago is now commonplace. When I stopped posting I figured I’d imparted all the knowledge I had about being a decent journalist. There were thirteen hundred posts and I’d run out of things to say. I had no more tricks of the trade to share. I left the blog up as a reference, and was recently shocked to find there had been more than 100 thousand visits since I stopped posting four years ago. Which tells me some of you are still here and there are some new visitors as well.


So why am I going to be posting again? Well, I realized I have more tricks of the trade to share, but they’re dirty tricks I’m seeing on television and in print. I recently wrote a very sarcastic book called “The Deplorables’ Guide to Fake News” in an effort to expose those in the media who don’t play fair and educate the public as to how they're doing it.


But here’s the deal: some people might not even be aware that their reporting is coming off as biased.


So I’ll be posting about things you can avoid, how a single word can change the tone of your story, how the b-roll you choose can slant a package, how a graphic can make viewers think you’re biased. I’ll also be calling out examples of unfair reporting so you can see what to avoid.


Basically, I’ve had it with the people who have destroyed the reputation of our business.


Everything is still in place. The email address, tvnewsgrapevine@gmail.com is still working, so fire away with any questions, comments, or examples of bias or fake news you see.


Finally, the slogan remains the same. “It is never the wrong time to do the right thing.” And right now, doing the right thing simply means being fair and objective.


It’s time to… wait for it… Make Journalism Great Again.


Stay tuned.

No comments: