Saturday, October 11, 2008

Backtiming a contract

Dear Grapevine,

My contract is coming up in eight months. I know where I want to go, but what happens if there aren't any openings at the right time my contract is up? Am I stuck re-signing? Do I work without a contract? Leave my job? Please help.

-J.D.

Dear J.D.

If you know how to edit, you know about backtiming. It's the process by which everything gets tied up neatly exactly where you want it.

Sadly, this rarely happens when it comes to the timing of contracts. But with a little backtiming, you can makes things easier. In your case, you have eight months to play with, so start planning now. Waiting until a month or two before your contract ends can only send you into a state of panic, and the odds are you won't find a job and get an offer in a window that small. The hiring process moves very slowly.

Start sending tapes NOW. It doesn't matter if there's an opening. And this will be a good time, with sweeps just about over. At this point in your search you want an ND to know who you are, even if he/she is not looking for anyone at the moment. Having been in the manager's position, I can tell you that you are always keeping an eye out for good people, because in this business someone inevitably will leave. I used to have a box in my office where I kept tapes of good people. Then when we needed someone quickly, I'd contact them to see if they were still looking.


In some cases you'll send a tape and get some constructive criticism. That tells you the ND might be interested down the road, and since you have those eight months, you can work on your craft and follow up with an improved tape.

Meanwhile, if you're thinking of getting an agent, do so now. An agent needs plenty of lead time as well when shopping a client.

And if you happen to visit one of your target markets before your contract is up, make some personal visits and hand deliver your tapes. Even if you can't get to see the ND, talk to someone in the news department. Make a connection.

At this stage you are laying the groundwork for your job search. But trust me, those eight months will fly by.

As for what to do if your contract expires and you don't have an offer, well, that's up to you. You can ask to work without a contract and if you have a good relationship with your managers it might happen. You might also have to deal with a similar negotiation if your offer comes a few months before your contract. Some stations will let you leave a little early, others play hardball.

Good luck.

No comments: