Monday, November 5, 2007

Mailbag

Dear Grapevine,

Is it true that no one gets hired during sweeps? I've got my tape ready to go but don't want it sitting on a News Director's desk for a month. Should I wait?

-Promptergirl

Dear Promptergirl,

People do occasionally find jobs during sweeps, but the hiring process generally gets put on hold. In the case of November, you can often add December into the mix as people get caught up in the holidays. However, NDs will sometimes start looking in December to hire in January. Start of a new year, new budget, and they're getting ready for February sweeps.

I'd wait till the end of this book before sending out tapes, unless you see an actual job opening.


Dear Sir,

I'll keep this short and sweet. How do I find a good agent?

-J.D.

Dear J.D.,

I'll keep this short and simple. Talk to their clients. You can ask an agent for references, or check those "moving on" notices on tvjobs.com, which usually list representation.

A good agent is accessible, excited about your talent, and one with a good track record.

And by the way, getting an agent is no guarantee of getting a job. Agents get your foot in the door, but your tape still has to make the short list.

No comments: