Friday, November 9, 2007

Must read for producers & assignment editors

Our home backs up to the woods, and there are no other homes as far as the eye can see. Which means we get to see lots of interesting wildlife. Every once in awhile, I see a few vultures circling overhead...

And that brings us to funeral coverage.

My friend Rick Portier, a wonderful photog with whom I had the pleasure of working with several years ago, has his own blog with a recent rant about the "value" (if there is any) of the most intrusive story a field crew can do. If you've never been in the horrible position of having to "cover" a funeral, you owe it to yourself to get a shooter's point of view. And if you're a producer or assignment editor, it might make you think twice about finding another real story that actually affects people.

There are tasteful ways to do tributes, but I'll do my own monologue on this subject at a later date. For now, Rick has the floor. Check out his blog at

http://turdpolisher.blogspot.com/2007/11/go-home-came-young-voice-spitting-venom.html#links

Yeah, I know, the name isn't the most genteel. But this is often a dirty business.

No comments: