Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Phone etiquette and infinite loop menus

I call various newsrooms quite often, and I am always amazed (in this supposed era of high technology) how long it takes before I can talk to a human being. I've noticed many stations have gone the automated route. "You've reached Channel Whatever. If you have your party's extension, dial it now. For sales, dial 1. For programming, dial 2. For this week's NFL games, dial 3. For our mailing address, dial 4. If you have a breaking news tip and haven't hung up in frustration, call the newsroom at this number..."

Or you dial the newsroom and it rings...and rings...and rings. Especially in the evening. Sometimes no one answers.

I find it amazing that stations which desperately want exclusives make it so hard for viewers to contribute them. That one caller who gives up out of frustration might have the story of the year.

Then, there's the often lifeless monotone you hear when someone does pick up the phone and says, "newsroom" as if speaking from death row. Sometimes I wonder if I've reached the staff cyborg who no longer wants to be human.

If you're an ND, check out your current system and simplify it. If you work in the newsroom, you need to jump whenever the phone rings and answer as though you actually care. "Action packed news, this is John, may I help you?" Let the viewers know you're interested, and you'll be the first one they'll call when they have something good.

No comments: