Saturday, December 22, 2007

Media Mail

Over the years I've told people that resume tapes can be sent media mail if the sender isn't pressed for time and wants to save money. It generally takes a few more days, but it gets there.

Except, apparently, in the month of December.

How do I know this? Because I Christmas shop on ebay.

On December 6th I bought a DVD and the seller sent it media mail the next day. It had a confirmation number, and made it all the way from Houston to Dallas by the 10th.

And hasn't moved an inch since.

I talked with a postal employee I know and was told that during the holiday season, media mail doesn't go anywhere until the priority mail and overnight stuff is out of the way. So while the letter carriers are carting fruitcakes through rain, sleet, snow and gloom of night, your resume tape is cooling its heels in some back room, waiting its turn.

So, for future reference, don't send your resume tapes out via media mail this time of year.

No comments: