Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Sweeps idea: The great gas mileage experiment

A while back I had to drive a long distance by myself. I'd heard over the years that lightening the load in a car could help gas mileage, and I'd taken the golf clubs out of the trunk, which were collecting dust anyway.

I decided to try an experiment with my wife's minivan. I took out all the seats before the trip, leaving the front passenger's seat which wasn't removeable. The only thing in the car besides me was my suitcase. Then I hit the road in the van, which usually gets 26 miles to the gallon on trips.

The van has one of those electronic mileage calculators, so I reset it at the beginning of the trip. When I returned home I was amazed to find I'd gotten 31 miles to the gallon... just by removing the seats (which were, I might add, pretty heavy). Talk about a money and environment saver!

Anyway, I'm sharing this with you because it might make a good story in this era of high gas prices. You might find someone in your market who is on the road all day without any passengers.

There, you've got a sweeps idea.

No comments: