Monday, March 17, 2008

Mailbag

Dear Grapevine,
First of all let me say that I love your blog. It's very informative and you're helping a lot of us out with your advice. Now my question is that I have had the "bright idea" lately to upload my demo reel to Youtube then send my resume, cover letter, and a link to my demo reel to news directors instead of mailing DVDs and papers that will go in some heaping pile in their office where interns stare and start to wonder if the $1.50/hour they make is worth it. My thinking is that no one filters the ND's email but they do filter the snail mail. Am I more likely to get a "does not follow directions" response or a "I like how you're keeping up with the times and using technology to your advantage" response? Is sending it by email in an effort to convenience them worth the risk of having the former response? Also by sending it via email, am I more or less likely to be ignored altogether? It may be "depending on the individual" but NDs seem to be a different breed of boss. Plus from what you and several other people have said about News Directors, it doesn't matter if you send it to their house, have their mother hand deliver it to them, or get it in front of their face by putting your demo reel as an ad at the station... they'll call if they like you and if they don't you're more likely to get a "sorry, wrong phone number" call from the President of the US.
-Scared and Confused (not really, just curious)



Dear S & C,
Well, we've dealt with this issue before, but in case you missed it...

Most NDs don't open emails from names they do not recognize due to the threat of viruses, and also because they simply don't have the time. I averaged about 300 emails per day in my last job. Tapes or DVDs are still the way to go because when a ND gets close to a hire he'll have to show the GM and it is more convenient to take a stack of finalists than a bunch of email links.

However, many smaller market NDs do look at those sites like tvjobs that will post your work online.

Otherwise, follow the directions in the ad, send it and fuhgeddaboudit.

As for sending it to an NDs house, here's a true story. When I was a reporter my dad found out my Uncle Lou was building a swimming pool for a network executive. So he gave my Uncle one of those tapes you send home to your family and Lou puts it on the guy's desk. The network guy calls me, tells me he likes my work, and then says, "How in the world did you tape end up on my desk at home?" In other words, use every connection you have.


Dear Grapevine,
As a college student and aspiring broadcaster, I really appreciate all the insight that you've packed into your blog. It's hard to find advice like that anywhere else. I've read on your blog about how important physical appearance is in the business, and I can understand why, but unfortunately, I have the "bald gene". All along, I've tried to tell myself that it won't affect my ability to land a job, but the more I think about it, the more it's a big deal. While I can't see myself working in any other industry, I do wonder if seeking a career in an off-camera role is simply more realistic, even if it does kill my dream. On the other hand, I might always look back on my decision and ask, "what if?" A few minutes ago, I read a post dealing with the resume tape and what a prospective ND might be looking for right away. Does having a receding hairline, for example, minimize my shot right off the bat? Do you have any thoughts on the matter, or any advice that I should realistically follow? I know it may be an odd sort of question but I'd love to hear you what you think.

-Follicle challenged

Dear Follicle,

Yes it is true this is a very superficial business, but men can get away with average looks a lot easier than women. (Sorry, gals, I don't make the rules.) You don't often see an anchor with thinning or no hair, but there are plenty of successful reporters that fit that description.

For some reason, these rules do not apply to weather and sports. And remember, guys are in very short supply right now. About 90 percent of tapes for entry level reporting jobs come from women.

Since you're young you should consult your doctor about a remedy. I've used one for 12 years and my hair stopped falling out the minute I started. The bald spot on top of my head even filled in.

Of course, now it is turning gray. You can't win.




No comments: