Thursday, July 31, 2008

Don't hate me because I'm average looking

Grape,

I'm a good reporter. I'm fair, objective, know how to put a story together, know how to dig and enterprise. I'm easy to work with and the photogs like working with me.

I'm reasonably attractive but I'm not remotely a "news babe" and despite my efforts to find another job I find myself constantly losing out to those who are more suited to being contestants on America's Next Top Model.

So what's an average looking gal to do? (And please don't tell me to be a producer.)

-Dateless at the ball


Dear Dateless,

Welcome to one of the most unfair businesses in the world. Sometimes you can be the smartest, most accomplished reporter out there but if you haven't hit DNA lotto in the looks department the parade can pass you by.

As a guy who doesn't have the traditional square jaw or perfect hair, I had to get by on my ability. But, and this is a big but, guys don't have it nearly as hard as women. Guys can be average looking and still do well. Women are, sadly, held to a higher standard in the appearance department. (Remember how Katie Couric got slammed for wearing white after Labor Day?) Some old views are still in place; anchor teams must be comprised of an older distinguished man and younger, very attractive woman. You rarely see an anchor team in which the woman is older. Incredibly, in 2008, the business is still stuck in the past when it comes to the superficial stuff.

But don't give up, as there are plenty of NDs out there who value people on their ability. And I personally think that as more women become News Directors and General Managers, those old views will begin to fade.

Since you weren't blessed with the classic looks, you have to work harder and focus on the talents that you do have. We all know people who are average looking or even unattractive, but who become more attractive through the sheer force of their personalities. While you should always strive to look your best at all times, those who don't fall into the "classic beauty" category need to convey their personalities and smarts to the viewer. Many times plain old spunk and street smarts can make an average looking woman extremely attractive to viewers.

Content is still king when it comes to resume tapes. Send out killer stories, let your personality shine in your montage, and you'll move on. You didn't really want to work for the people who hired the models, now did you?

No comments: