Thursday, July 17, 2008

Mailbag: Help me, my boss thinks I'm a pinata

Dear Grape,

I love what I do but I hate my job. I'm sure you've heard this before. I can't think of doing anything else but news reporting; I've been around awhile, have won many awards, and am known in the market as a solid journalist.

My problem is our new News Director, who, for whatever reason, finds fault with every single story I do. All my ideas, which used to be well received in the morning meeting, are now shot down before I can get them completely out of my mouth. I go home every night feeling beat up.

Am I stuck in hell, or will this get better?

-Miserable

Dear Miserable,

You're right, I've not only heard this before, I've been in your shoes... as have most people in this business at one time or another.

For whatever reason, it is obvious that you do not figure in your new ND's future plans. The ND wants you to quit, get another job, just get out of the newsroom.

You have two choices.

One, sit down and have an honest talk with the ND and see if you can find out the source of the problem, or if the problem can even be resolved.

Two, find another job.

But be careful if you choose the latter. If you're under contract, you might incur a penalty for leaving early. (Imagine that... paying money to leave a job you hate.) If you decide to go that route you must ask to be released from your contract. If the ND really wants out outta there it might not be a problem.

Hang in there and good luck.


Grapevine,

Our sales people have a habit of visiting our assignment editor, then lo and behold, some bogus story will appear on the board a few minutes later that is obviously a plug for a client. We're all sick of covering these... should we complain to the ND?

-Ethical guy

Dear Ethical,

While your heart is in the right place your wallet is not. Many stations operate this way. The sales department pays the bills, and the ND obviously is on board with this, so leave it alone.

Choose your battles wisely in this business. Even though you're 100 percent right, you're not going to win this one. Just concentrate on the real stories you have to cover.


Hey Grape,

Our assignment editor always looks grumpy. Is that an occupational hazard?

-J.L.

Dear J.L.

No. Start bringing real story ideas to the morning meeting and you might find a fun person under the gruff exterior.

No comments: