Monday, July 7, 2008

Mailbag: What exactly is "equal time?"

Grape,

The other night our station ran a package on Obama and just a vo/sot on McCain. I asked the producer about this and she said that she had also run a vo/sot on George Bush, so she figured it was basically even. What's your take?

-Politically Correct

Dear PC,

Ah, the old issues of equal time and fairness have reared their ugly heads once again. Trying to influence elections through news coverage is as old as journalism itself, and, rules or no rules, many organizations are pretty transparent about it.

Let's look at the scenario you raised. If you look at it as Democratic coverage versus Republican coverage, you'd think you were OK. But this is an election and George Bush is no longer a candidate. Now, did the vo/sot regarding the Prez have something to do with the McCain campaign? Or was Dubya simply acting as the President doing something not election related? If the Bush vo/sot was something about a meeting with some foreign President, then no, your station did not provide fair coverage to McCain.

Fairness has so many gray areas you could make up a giant color palette and none of it would be black or white. It often lies in the eyes of the beholder, or, in the case of TV news, the eyes of the producer, ND, reporter, photog, or editor. I may provide equal time to McCain and Obama, but if I use a warm and fuzzy sound bite for one and make the other look bad, am I being fair?

That's the question every journalist must ask when putting a story together. Is this a fair and balanced representation? It's not about giving 20 seconds to a Republican and only 19 to a Democrat and trying to cut the sound bites to match; you could be dead even time-wise, but edit things in a context that makes one candidate look good and the other bad. Even newspapers can influence things in a subtle way by publishing flattering or unflattering photos of candidates.

You have to rely on your conscience and put your personal feelings aside. You may like one candidate and feel the other is an absolute scumbag, but your feelings must remain out of the story. Look at your piece objectively, tell me you've been fair to both sides and left your opinions out of it; then you can air it. Tell the viewers what you know, not what you think, and let the viewers decide on their own.

A little bit of history on the power of television. The 1960 debate between Kennedy and Nixon showed how pictures can shape the perception of voters. During that debate, Nixon was sweating all over the place while JFK looked cool and comfortable. Viewers who watched the debate said Kennedy won. Those who listened on radio said Nixon came out on top.


Grapevine,

My ND and I have a good relationship. The other day he told me an anchor spot on the morning show was coming up and asked if I was interested. While I'd love to move into anchoring, the thought of getting up in the middle of the night gives me hives. If I say no, will my ND never offer me any anchoring again?

-Night Person

Dear Night Person,

The news business is filled with more owls than a Harry Potter book, and as a creature of the night myself I feel your pain. I once was in the exact same position and asked the ND, "Will you hold it against me if I say no?" He said he wouldn't and didn't when I turned it down.

I filled in on the morning show for several weeks when we were shorthanded and I must tell you I never felt physically worse in my life. Your whole life revolves around getting to sleep. I have a few clients stuck on morning shifts who are desperate for a schedule change.

Just be honest with your ND. If you're talented, other opportunities should come.


Hey Grape,

I work in a toxic newsroom and come home every night all wound up. What's the best way to unwind?

-Bundle of Nerves


Dear Bundle,

I used to watch movies where the good guys win and lots of stuff gets blown up. Which is the reason I wore out my VHS copy of Die Hard and eventually bought the DVD.

Just imagine your boss is Hans when watching the movie. Yippee Ki Yay.

1 comment:

John said...

Good thoughts, all.