Friday, July 18, 2008

Networking can make finding your next job a lot easier

My dad used to constantly tell me, "It's not what you know, it's who you know." Of course, he was pretty much always right, except that one time he bought a race horse.

Connections in this business can sometimes be the difference between a decent career and a great career, between a good job and a major market or network. And while many broadcasters are born with built-in connections (nepotism), the average news person often has to make his or her own luck.

Networking is one way to do that.

There are two ways to network, and of course face to face is the best. Conferences such as RNTDA and others will offer you terrific opportunities to shake a lot of hands and make a great first impression. But even if you can't afford to attend a conference, you can still network while covering stories every day and by sending resume tapes. (I piqued your interest with that last part, huh?)

Let's start with the conference. I've been to a bunch of these and of course have seen lots of young people wandering around. But let me illustrate a mistake many make with a story about what happened to me back in the 1980's at my first RTNDA.

Back then I was a starving reporter (I know, redundant) and a friend of mine gave me a one day free pass.I registered like everyone else and got this badge with my name in big bold letters. People wander around these conferences not looking at anyone in the face, but looking at the badges. While there I ran into a very well known guy that I knew from a network. We'll call him Mr. Jones. Anyway, Jones asks if I'm staying for the whole conference and I said that I only had a one day pass and couldn't afford to stay. Then he took off his badge and handed it to me, telling me he was flying out shortly.

The next day I was back, only I was big network executive Mr. Jones. People who wouldn't give me the time of day the previous evening were now more than happy to come up and introduce themselves.

But you know, Mr. Jones wasn't always a network bigwig. He started small like everyone else. So if you go to a conference, don't just look for the badges of the big wheels. Meet as many people as you can, because many of those people who are in small or medium markets today will be big wheels in the future.

And don't just say a brief hello. It is perfectly acceptable to hand someone a DVD (tapes are too bulky for conferences) or a business card (the ones you never take out of your desk). Then collect as many cards as you can and follow up. Don't wait for a job opening, just send another tape a few months later with a nice note reminding the person of your meeting at the conference. Remember, NDs love these impromptu interviews because it can often save them the expense of bringing someone in for an interview.

Don't forget to dress for the job you want, not the job you have. Too many young people show up casually dressed, and while these conferences are casual, you want to dress for an interview.

Now on to the part you're waiting for... networking with resume tapes. They key is twofold: first, you must make a connection with all the other news people you run into, especially your competitors. Then you have to get the jump on everyone else by sending tapes where there aren't any openings.

For example, you have the city hall beat and constantly do the same stories as two reporters from the competing stations. So instead of treating them as the enemy, treat them as friendly competitors. If one gets a job before you do, you now have a connection in that market. Wish the person well, then drop him a tape down the road and ask him to pass it on to the ND.

As for sending tapes when no openings are posted, this gets your work into the pipeline when the ND isn't deluged with boxes of tapes. Even if it is a market for which you're not ready, there's nothing wrong with sending a tape with a note that you'd like to work there someday and would appreciate feedback. You'd be surprised at the response you'd get... and now the ND knows your name and knows you're a person open to suggestion.

These are all more hooks in the water for your job search. Don't be like everyone else and just wait for openings.... take the initiative.

No comments: