Monday, August 4, 2008

Mailbag: Does the mommy track and the career track run on the same line?

Grape,

I've been working in a newsroom for the past three years and just started at a great station in a new market. I love the nature of reporting, but I'm starting to have career doubts. I'm losing the passion for news and realizing I don't want to spend the rest of my life working nights, holidays and weekends. I thought I would look into changing careers when I had a family, and I just found out that is going to be sooner than expected. Any suggestions for a similar path but with a normal 9-5 day?

P.S. - Thanks for the daily column! I read everyday!

Mom-to-be in career limbo


Dear Mom-to-be,

As a guy, and one with no children, I'm not sure I'm the best person to give advice on this subject. The most parenting I've ever done is bottle feeding an orphaned Siamese kitten. But I've worked with plenty of women who have gone through their first pregnancies in the newsroom, so I'll share what I've observed. And from what I've observed, what you're going through is normal.

It seems that once female news people have their first child, they go in one of two directions; they either change careers to accommodate a normal parenting schedule, or they find a way to juggle both motherhood and broadcast journalism. The latter is often very difficult unless you have a very supportive spouse, but lots of people have done it successfully.

Several women I know have simply asked for a more normal shift, either anchoring morning, noon, or 5pm newscasts. Even working weekends will enable you to split parenting duties with your husband a little easier. It's a little more difficult for reporters, since you never really know when your day will end, if you have a live shot, etc.

Since you haven't had your baby yet, you need to talk with your spouse and then your ND to see what possibilities are available. (Since you work for a great station, the ND should be receptive.) But honestly, I wouldn't make any rash decisions until you've been a mom for awhile. Right now you've got too much on your plate to make a good decision, because you really have no idea how motherhood will affect you. Wait to see if your burning passion for journalism is still there. I've known a few hard core journalists who have simply chucked the career right after having a baby, and others who never missed a beat. I'm sure motherhood is as passionate as journalism, probably more so.

You might also talk with some other moms who work in the news business. (And those who read this blog, please chime in.)

Meanwhile, similar careers: Public relations, politics, (which offers a similar "rush") advertising, teaching Journalism or English. If you don't have a masters, you can work on one while raising the munchkin, then teach in college.

In any event, best of luck with the kid. Just don't give it one of those Hollywood wacko names.

No comments: