Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Mailbag: Too valuable to get promoted?

Grapevine,

I've been a reporter at my current station for a few years. I get most of the lead stories and I enjoy reporting, but I really get quite a rush when I fill in on the anchor desk. Recently we had an opening for an anchor and of course I threw my hat in the ring. Though I had always heard good feedback about my fill-in work, they promoted someone else whose anchoring skills were solid and about equal to mine. However, the other person was not as good on the street, and even admits he doesn't like reporting. The ND told me they hated to lose me on the street. Am I a victim of my own competence as a reporter?

-Ready to leave

Dear Ready,

Every once in awhile management has to make a tough decision like this one, and often makes the wrong one. Do you reward the person who deserves the job but will leave you weak in one area, or do you make the choice that might leave a valued employee hurt but be better for the station? The best person should always get the job, but alas, life is not fair.

I've seen this happen several times, and generally you end up losing the person who really deserved the job because that person gets ticked off, or, in your case, hurt. Yes, the old Peter Principle (people rise to the level of their incompetence) has always been in play in this business. For some reason NDs just don't understand that creative people are extremely sensitive, despite a hard shell exterior that might be conveyed on camera.

In case you hadn't figured it out (but it sounds like you have) you're never going to get an anchor job at your current station. If that is what you truly want, make an anchor tape and look for an anchor job.


O Wise Grape,

Is it a good idea to use someone as a reference who works at your current station?

-F. B.

Dear F.B.

Only if you can absolutely, positively trust that person not to spill the beans that you're looking. If you do this, make sure you list a personal phone number, not a newsroom number, as you don't want someone calling the newsroom saying, "I need a reference on so-and-so... is Joe Anchor around?"



Grapevine,

I recently got a call from a consultant asking for a tape. I did a little checking around and found out the company consults our competitor. Why would someone who works for the other station want to find me a job?

-Puzzled

Dear Puzzled,

Probably because you're talented and the ND at the other station thinks it would weaken the competition to get you outta town.

Consultants also maintain talent banks for their client stations, so they'll put you on a reel with people of your demographic background and level of experience. These people aren't agents, so don't expect them to actively "pitch" your work. But it doesn't hurt to send them a tape every three or four months.


Grapevine,

I'm in my first job and I don't want to appear stupid asking someone this in the newsroom, so I'll ask you. What is the exact definition of a look live?

-The newbie

Dear Newbie,

Look Live, noun, (look leye-v)

1. A clever ruse used by news departments by which standup intros to stories are taped and then played back live during a newscast so that it looks as though the reporter is actually talking live to the anchor.

2. A fake method of presenting news that fools no one.

No comments: