Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Mailbag: Interviews, liberals, and Play-Doh

Grape,

So I've gotten past the whole sending my tape thing and waiting for a call, but now I have an interviewed scheduled. That's great right?? Well--except it's a week away and I've already begun to panic. Any tips on how to make a good impression, and separate myself from the other applicants who have also interviewed?

-The Long and Winding Road

Dear Panicked,

First, get a paper bag and breathe into it. Kidding. But seriously, relax. You'll go on lots of job interviews in your lifetime, so get used to it. Being yourself and acting casual is the best thing you can do.

Now, some preps. First, you must be somewhat familiar with the market you're going to. Start reading the local papers online, and watch stories from the stations in the market if you can. (You might have a chance to comment on a story you've watched.) Learn some history about the state and city. Know who the major politicians are.

General current events can trip up a lot of job applicants, as you might get a test. Start reading everything you can get your hands on. For instance, who is Henry Paulson? If you have to look it up, you're not reading enough.

Dress for the job you want, not the job you have. Conservative and professional.

Here's the part that trips up a lot of people. Many News Directors will drop you in the newsroom for a few hours. Don't sit around. Move from person to person and chat up everyone. The ND will later ask some people if they think you'll fit in.

Finally, don't forget the thank you notes after your interview. Hand written and snail mailed.


Grapevine,

My ND is making me do a five part series for November. This is ridiculous, right?

-Confused

Dear Confused,

Well, the multi-part series used to be the staple of sweeps, but these days few people watch the news every single night. For me, two parts is about my limit. If something is going to be appointment television for me over several nights, it had better star Jack Bauer and lots of things need to blow up.

Seriously, single sweeps pieces seem to be more effective these days. Though, as the saying goes, you're in sweeps every day. Most people don't change their viewing habits in the short term.


Dear Grape,

I often hear the term "liberal news media" yet I know some people who are pretty conservative in my station. Since you've been around awhile, what's your take?

-Miss Independent

Dear Independent,

I think the country would be surprised to find out political views are right down the middle. Since most of the national news comes from liberal areas like New York and LA, people naturally assume all reporters are liberal. I wouldn't make that assumption at all. I know just as many far right reporters as far left ones.

Regardless, too many media people are making their views public. Journalism 101... be objective and keep your mouth shut on politics and religion.


Grapevine,

My News Director is a big meanie. I don't have a question for you, I just needed to write that down and hit the "send" button.

-Ticked off

Dear Ticked off,

Wow, times have changed when it comes to relieving stress. I used to have a can of Play-Doh in my desk so I could throw the stuff against the wall.

No comments: