Friday, November 20, 2009

The holidays offer anchoring opportunities for those who volunteer

When I first got into management I had a very talented young reporter who asked me for a shot at anchoring. I knew she'd do fine, but had trouble convincing the powers that be. Finally, I played the "noon show card."

"Let's put her on the noon show," I said. "No one's watching anyway."

"Fine," was the answer. (Noon shows do have some value.)

So I scheduled her for the noon and she knocked it out of the park.

Similar opportunities are coming in the next few weeks. Since regular anchors really don't want to work the holidays, it might behoove you to volunteer to anchor on those days that no one wants to work. Between Thanksgiving, Christmas and Hanukkah, there's bound to be an anchor shortage somewhere. Throw your hat in the ring. Most NDs will realize that "no one's watching" on holidays and might give you a shot.

By the way, you know who is watching on holidays? NDs who have gone home. They might be big market managers now, but they may have grown up in your market. And NDs can't resist checking out local news whenever they travel. (Another good reason not to phone it in on a holiday.)

No comments: