Friday, March 5, 2010

Sometimes reporter involvement doesn't require words

One of the most common problems I hear from young reporters has to do with standups. Many times you get out there and you just can't think of something profound to say. Or a standup would just seem awkward.

But sometimes a reporter can be involved with a story without saying a word.

Remember, TV is nothing more than show and tell. And sometimes you just need the "show" part.

Example: You're doing a typical citizen vs. big company story. You've got plenty of sound bites and b-roll with the citizen, but you're getting nowhere getting the other side of the story.

Typically, most reporters simply throw in a line saying, "We tried to contact XYZ company but our calls were not returned." This line is usually covered with a shot of the building in which the company is housed.

But as a viewer, why should I take your word for it? Should I believe you actually tried to contact the guys at the company? Don't tell me, show me.

Give me a shot in which you're walking up to the door, knocking on it, and pulling on the door to show it is locked. Or showing up at the front door and being asked to leave by the security guard. Or dialing a phone and letting me hear you try unsuccessfully to get through to someone.

Now, instead of a package in which I've never seen the reporter, I'm seeing a reporter actually try to bring me both sides of the story. And you didn't have to do a real standup to do it.

This can work for other stories as well. Can't think of anything to say? Get involved.

Example: You're doing a package on truck driving school. You have lots of different bites with students and instructors, and plenty of b-roll.

Why not try driving a truck yourself? Again, show, don't tell. You could say something like, "After trying to maneuver an 18-wheeler, the instructor told me to keep my day job."

With the exception of funeral packages, a reporter needs to be involved in every package one way or another. Sometimes you do it with a traditional standup, sometimes you just "get involved" with the story.

But we need to see your face. As one network executive once told me, "If I don't see a reporter in every story, why am I paying that person?"

No comments: