Thursday, April 8, 2010

Breaking rules

Grape,

Just read your guide for college grads.

You're kidding about not needing a journalism degree, right? Some people in our newsroom said this is ridiculous, that you can't get anywhere without one. And who starts in a top ten market with no experience? Got any proof?



Yeah, I hear this all the time. "No one will hire me. I don't have a journalism degree."

Hmmm... let me think of someone in the business who doesn't have a journalism degree. Hang on, give me a minute. Oh, wait, let me just get a mirror.

That's right, you guys take advice from someone who didn't major in journalism. My college didn't even offer broadcasting courses.

Ever hear of Peter Jennings? High school dropout.

Barbara Walters? English degree.

Geraldo Rivera? No experience, no journalism background, started in New York City.

Need someone more recent without a degree or experience? How about Megyn Kelly?

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=918762

There are two things you need to know about this business. First, a degree doesn't make you smart or qualified. One of the sorriest reporters I ever saw had a degree from a "prestigious" university. The smartest weatherman I ever worked with never spent a day in college.

Second, we tell stories for a living. Do you really need four years of intensive instruction on how to tell a story? Or could you pick up the basics in a few months at a TV station?

I've heard this from dozens of interns. "I learned more here this summer than I did in four years at school." Granted, there are some great J-schools out there. Places like Missouri, UT Austin and Arizona State consistently turn out sharp kids. But a degree in journalism isn't required.

Remember, there are no rules in this business. If Megyn Kelly can walk into a DC station with no experience, no training, and get a job, why can't you? Some young lady started in Houston a couple of years ago right out of college. Why can't you? All you need in this business is common sense, street smarts, the ability to write and communicate, and a decent personality.

Oh, and enough guts to stop listening to "experts" and enough confidence to go right to the top.

Send your tapes anywhere, even if you don't have the "right" degree, and maybe I'll be talking about you next year.

Since there are no rules, you're not breaking any by trying.

3 comments:

BeauBerman said...

http://www.click2houston.com/station/18335431/detail.html

Straight to Houston station from college/internship.

Now she's in Boston on a track to become a network correspondent.

There's your proof.

Anonymous said...

I'm not on the air but, I have a degree in Political Science, spent four months in El Paso (mkt 98), one year in San Diego (mkt 28) and now I'm at CNN. It happens.

Rob said...

@BeauBerman: The fact that Alana went from college to Houston is not surprising. I saw her, and she was as green as the springtime grass. It was frankly embarrassing to see her on the air in a top 10 market.

I guarantee she got that job because she looked a little exotic and she came dirt cheap.

Plus, KPRC has a Weird Name Quota they have to fill. Just look at their bio page.