Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Local sports... going, going, gone?

One of the more disturbing trends of late is the cutting down or even elimination of sports segments in local newscasts. Some consultants seem to feel that the average viewer doesn't care about sports, and those who do will automatically turn to ESPN.

They couldn't be more wrong on both counts.

There are two things to consider regarding sports these days. Personally, I shudder to think how much of my life I've spent watching the Mets and the football Giants over the years. And how much I've spent on satellite TV and the NFL Sunday Ticket. But to simply assume I'll turn on ESPN every day to get my sports fix is a very wrong assumption. There are a few shows I'll watch on that channel, but to be honest, Sportscenter skews pretty young. If you're, uh, middle aged like me, the Sportscenter schtick can get a little annoying at times. A funny comment once in awhile is fine, but one on every single play of every single highlight just gets tired. It's for that same reason I cannot listen to Jim Rome. It's just a generational thing, I'm sure, but the point is there are still plenty of sports fans out there who will watch local sports.

The other thing to consider is our child-obsessed society. Growing up I spent every day of every summer playing baseball, and I don't believe my parents ever saw me play. As a kid, I didn't want them there anyway. But these days, parents have to attend every single game to watch their children. Don't you think those parents want to see their kids on TV as part of a local sportscast?

The perfect local sportscast provides a blend of both. Give me the highlights of Tom Brady vs. Peyton Manning, and give families a look at their kids on the soccer field. The one thing consultants fail to address is the fact that unless you live in a major market, you can't watch local sports on ESPN.

No comments: