Saturday, March 15, 2008

The ides of March... a backstabbing holiday?

Over the years I've worked with hundreds of people in many different markets. Some have gotten out of the business, some have struggled, others have hit it big with the networks or major markets. I remember the first time I spotted one of my former co-workers on a major network. She was a very nice person and I was glad to see she'd caught the brass ring.

I was done with reporting by then, but I'm sure if I'd called her up and asked her to put my resume tape on her supervisor's desk she would have done so. This business is a perfect example of "It's not what you know, but who you know."

So right now I want you to look around your newsroom. Because the person sitting at the next desk might just be your ticket to a great career. I'm not advocating false friendship here, but merely treating all your co-workers with respect. Why am I telling you to be nice to the people you work with? Well, in the past year I've heard several stories that make me think newsroom backstabbing is on the rise. Here's a newsflash, McFly.... the people in your newsroom are all working for the same team. While you have different individual goals, teamwork must supersede them.

Now think about where everyone will be in ten years. Some will be out of the business, some will struggle, but a few will have the jobs about which we all dream. If that person is someone you've treated well, welcomed into the newsroom, or given a helping hand, you'll have a connection that might help you.

If that person is someone you've treated badly and backstabbed, you'll have no shot. A bad reference from one person is enough to send your tape into the trash.

I shouldn't have to say this, but treating others well is common courtesy. So put the knives away and play well with others. You'll have a happier and more productive newsroom, learn the value of teamwork, and maybe have a friend in high places when you need one.

No comments: