Sunday, March 16, 2008

Mailbag

Dear Grapevine,

If a News Director actually asks you to call, is there a good time and day to do so? I have one I've been trying to reach for awhile and I get nothing but voice mail.

-Jason

Dear Jason,

Actually, that's a very good question. You already know it is taboo to call during crunch time... late afternoon. And trying to get a ND first thing in the morning is useless because he or she is in the morning meeting. Some good times are between 10:15-11:45 in the morning (the meeting is over and the ND hasn't gone to lunch) and between 1:15-1:45 in the afternoon (beck from lunch and before the afternoon meeting.

As for days of the week, avoid Mondays like the plague. Most NDs have piles of messages and fires to put out from the weekend. Friday is actually a good day... everyone is in a good mood.

And it goes without saying that you shouldn't call during sweeps unless directed to do so.


Hey Grapevine,

I hate to sound stupid if I ask someone at the station, but what does IFB stand for?

-K.L.

Dear K.L.,

Interruptible feedback. It also stands for audio that never works when you need it most.


Grape,

Is it worth the expense to put my picture on my resume or on a tape label?

-Kelli

Dear Kelli,

Save your money. The only thing that gets you the job is what's on the tape, not what's attached to it.


Grapevine,

The other day we were on a shoot and the competitor's photog had a dead battery and no working spare. I lent him one of ours. I'm worried I'll get in trouble. Was I right to help out?

-L.P.

Dear L.P.,

Sure, happens all the time. You'll be grateful when a piece of your gear dies and that photog comes to the rescue.





No comments: