Thursday, January 1, 2009

Need a resolution? Try one of these...

Don't need to lose weight? Don't smoke? Well, that doesn't mean you can't change for the better in 2009... and maybe have a positive effect on your newsroom and the business.

So if you're stuck for a resolution, consider one of these:

-I will treat photogs better. Buy them coffee, cold sodas, carry the gear, offer to drive once in awhile, include them in discussions about how to approach stories. And if you're a producer, stop ordering them around.

-I will respect station equipment. You're not paying for it, so why care, right? Well, that editing system that broke down because people treated it like junk costs the same amount to replace as your salary. The job you save might be your own.

-I will apply to every job that interests me, regardless of my experience level.

-If a job advertisement reads, "No phone calls" I will not call a News Director.

-I will look for stories that make a difference, or spotlight people who do.

-I will look for enterprise stories that have nothing to do with crime.

-I will not yell or scream in the newsroom, nor will I create drama.

-I will put every package together as if it were my last.

-I will reach out to every new employee and make them feel welcome, even if they got the job that I wanted.

-If I'm an anchor I will write more of my newscast.

-If I'm a young producer or reporter I will ask veterans for advice.

-I will get involved in the community, volunteering for some sort of charity work.

-If I'm a veteran I will pay it forward, and offer advice to young people entering the business.

-I will be objective and not let my personal political views enter into my story.

-I will never tell anyone how I voted, nor offer personal opinions of any politician.

-I will try new things to make myself more versatile and therefore more marketable.

-I will remember that it is never the wrong time to do the right thing, and live by that principle.

No comments: