Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Substance abuse can kill your career

Okay, I don't want to get holier than thou here, but this Michael Phelps thing left me feeling really disappointed in the young man. Not only will he lose endorsements, but he's tarnished his image. Many times you can't polish that out.

Over the years I've worked with many people who had either drug or alcohol problems, or both. I've seen careers crash and burn due to this. In almost every instance, the person with the problem ended up out of the business. I remember one reporter who was extremely talented but an arrest ended a promising career.

One of the reasons News Directors do background checks these days is because they want to avoid potential problems. If I'm hiring someone who will be in the public eye, I certainly don't want anyone who breaks the law and does something incredibly stupid like drink and drive.

If you're in this business, people look up to you simply because you're on TV. Kids might see you as a role model.

Set a good example and stay off the police blotter. Trust me, you'll be saving your own career.

No comments: