Thursday, May 6, 2010

News Director's playbook: planning WAY ahead

Every News Director has someone on the staff he wishes would leave. Many managers deal with this by making these people miserable hoping they will quit. But others simply bide their time, waiting for the day when that person's contract expires.

So let's say I'm a News Director and I've got a worthless reporter I want to replace, but the contract doesn't end until June of 2011, thirteen months from now. Do I start looking next April to replace this person?

No. I start looking now.

Why? Well, it's all about timing.

And that's why you, the job hunter, should send tapes out to target markets anytime, even if the end of your contract is a long way off.

Let's say your contract ends in thirteen months as well. You should always start looking at least six months out, but why not send tapes to your target markets right now?

Remember, I'm a ND and I know I'm going to need a reporter next June. Your tape wanders in today and I like it. In your cover letter you've told me that your contract has another year to run.

Timing? Perfect. So I start a dialogue with you. I ask you to keep in touch, send more tapes. Maybe I critique your tape. Maybe I give you a phone call.

And when next April comes up, I've got you in mind for that job.

I've had many people get jobs this way. And trust me, News Directors all have a stack of "good tapes" in their offices for openings that will come up in the future.

So don't wait for jobs to be posted before sending a tape. You, as the job seeker, have no idea what the ND has planned down the road, or what expiring contracts might create openings in the future.

If you do this, make sure you are totally up front about any contract situation in your cover letter. If you've got thirteen months to go, say so. Your letter might look like this:

"I still have a little over a year left on my contract but I'd eventually love to work in your market. I'd appreciate any feedback you might have on my work."

You might not get a response, but if you do you've started a relationship with a manager. You can then send tapes every two months to keep yourself on the back burner of the ND's mind.

Remember, there will always be openings at every station in America. Waiting for them to occur is fine, but getting your tape in the door ahead of the inevitable flood can lay the groundwork for something in the future.

No comments: